ALASKA OPERATING ENGINEERS/EMPLOYERS TRAINING
Our Training Center is located in Palmer, Alaska. Your training dates will be indicated in your acceptance letter when accepted for the program. Your initial training is approximately 4 – 12 weeks in duration, 5 or 6 days a week. Additional training is ongoing throughout your apprenticeship. Room and Board is provided to you if you live outside of a 60-mile radius from the center. The housing is located approximately 4 miles from the center. You are responsible for your own daily transportation to training. Lunch is provided for all trainees. You do not get paid while you are at training. Unemployment benefits may be available to you during your training if you are eligible to receive them.
Our Apprenticeship is 6000 hrs. (operators) 8000 hrs. (mechanics) 5000 hrs. (service oilers) in duration. It takes approximately 3 to 5 years to complete. During that time, you work with the apprenticeship coordinator to place you with a contractor. You cannot quit or refuse a job. You must go where they send you, when they send you for whatever the duration of the project may be. You might be in Prudhoe Bay one week and Cold Bay or Juneau the next. We are looking for people who can make a commitment to our program and stick with it.
- Minimum requirements:
- Be at least 18 years if age (21 for Service Oilers program)
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Must have a valid drivers license with no DUI’s in the past 3 years.
- Required documents:
- Completed application – filled out online
- Copy of birth certificate
- High school transcripts or GED test scores
- Copy of High school diploma or GED certificate
- DD-214 (for Veterans only)
- Copy of valid driver’s license (Rural Alaskans without driver’s license may contact our office)
- Copy of Social security card (if you have lost your card please apply for a new card and bring proof that you applied for the card – receipt).
- 5-year Background check from the State Troopers (within 30 days)
- 5-year DMV record-showing no DUIs in the past 3 years (within 30 days)
- $30.00 non-refundable application fee – paid online